Friday, April 17, 2015

Benadryl For Dogs

If you are a dog owner then, you must know that your pet dogs often suffer from allergic reactions that cause severe discomfort to them. Well, you will be happy to know that with Benadryl you are now able to treat all the discomforts of your loving pet. Benadryl is a common medicine used for treating allergenic reactions both for human beings, as well as dogs. Benadryl is also known as diphenhydramine in medical terms. This medicine is normally available in the market both in the form of tablets as well as cream. Benadryl is an FDA approved medicine and is highly recommended by veterinary doctors in order to treat allergies that are usually being diagnosed in your pet dogs. This anti-allergic medicine is found highly effective in dogs suffering from skin problems like itching, sleeplessness, motion sickness, stuffy nose and many more similar problems. It is a good remedy to treat all kinds of allergies in your pets if given with proper recommended doses with respect to your dog’s weight.

Benadryl Dosage For Dogs

Your Dog's WeightRecommended DoseMaximum Dose
5 pounds5 mg5 mg
10 pounds10 mg10 mg
15 pounds15 mg15 mg
20 pounds20 mg20 mg
30 pounds30 mg30 mg
40 pounds40 mg40 mg
50 pounds50 mg50 mg
75 pounds75 mg75 mg
100 pounds100 mg100 mg
125 pounds125 mg125 mg
150 pounds150 mg150 mg
175 pounds175 mg175 mg
  • vaccine reactions
  • insect stings and bites
  • some forms of allergic skin disease
  • inflammatory symptoms of mast cell tumors
  • reactions to blood transfusions
  • other allergic reactions
  • motion sickness

The most common side effects of Benadryl in dogs include the following: Drooling. Excitability. Drowsiness. Rapid breathing. Rapid heart rate. Depression. Side effects usually occur within an hour of taking the medication and are typically mild. If a dog experiences severe side effects, the animal needs immediate veterinary care. 

Benadryl is a very safe drug for dogs, and it is unlikely that an owner would deliberately give a dog enough of the drug to be dangerous. Because dogs often eat things they should not, however, accidental overdose does happen. This almost always occurs when a dog gets into a box or bottle of Benadryl. For example, an article in the Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care describes the case of a young Labrador retriever that ate the equivalent of more than 16 times the maximum recommended dose of Benadryl and had to be hospitalized due to severe overdose symptoms.

Agitation. Extreme drowsiness. Aggression. Abnormal heart rate. Muscle tremors. Increased body temperature. Abnormal behavior. Difficulty breathing. Increased blood pressure. 

Any owner who suspects his or her dog is suffering from a Benadryl overdose should contact a veterinarian immediately. If the dog is having difficulty breathing, collapses, has seizures or develops other severe symptoms, the animal requires immediate emergency care.



Post a Comment